Advantages of brachytherapy
Brachytherapy is a very effective and highly convenient treatment for prostate cancer with minimized side effects.
Brachytherapy has been used by doctors to successfully treat prostate cancer for many decades. Today, modern state-of-the-art technologies are used to help healthcare professionals deliver brachytherapy with a high level of precision.
Brachytherapy is recognized as a standard treatment alongside surgery and external beam radiotherapy (EBRT).1,2
Advantages of brachytherapy include:
- Effective as a cure: there are many studies that show patients continue to remain free of cancer after treatment with brachytherapy.
- Minimized side effects: The accurate and targeted nature of both low dose rate (LDR) and high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy reduces the risk of side effects.
- Minimally invasive: Avoids the need for extensive surgery.
- Shorter treatment times and shorter recovery periods: brachytherapy is usually given on an outpatient basis and completed in a couple of days. Patients are usually able to get back to their normal activities within a week.
- Mottet N et al. Eur Urology 2017;71(4):618-29. Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0302283816304705?via%3Dihub Accessed June 2021
- Cornford P et al. Eur Urology 2017;71(4):630-42. Available at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0302283816304699?via%3Dihub Accessed June 2021