What are the potential advantages of brachytherapy?
- Brachytherapy is a very effective and highly convenient treatment for skin cancer.
- Multiple studies have shown brachytherapy to be highly effective for the treatment of nonmelanoma skin cancer.1,2,3,4,5,6
- Excellent cosmetic outcome, side effects are minimal and up to 100% of patients report an excellent or good cosmetic outcome.1,2,3,4,5,6
- Avoidance of surgery7; no cutting, no need for extensive wound care, no risk of bleeding or other wound complications, no surgical scars.
- Non-invasive and virtually painless procedure (in case of superficial brachytherapy), minimal impact on the patient’s quality of life.4,5
- Short treatment times, fractions are usually delivered within minutes.1
- Guinot JL et al. Radiother Oncol 2018; 126:377-85. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radonc.2018.01.013 Accessed June 2021
- Bussu F. et al. Brachytherapy 2021; 20(1):178-84. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brachy.2020.08.008 Accessed June 2021
- Delishaj D et al. J Contemp Brachyther 2016; 8(6):533-40. Available at: https://doi.org/10.5114/jcb.2016.64112 Accessed June 2021
- Ouhib Z et al. Brachytherapy 2015; 14:840-58. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brachy.2015.06.005 Accessed June 2021
- Tormo A et al. J Contemp Brachyther 2014; 6(2):167-172. Available at: https://dx.doi.org/10.5114%2Fjcb.2014.43247 Accessed June 2021
- Gauden R et al. J Med Imaging Radiat Oncol 2013; 57(2):212-7. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-9485.2012.02466.x Accessed June 2021
- Wang Y et al. Clin Plast Surg 2009; 36(3):336-44. Available at: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cps.2009.02.008 Accessed June 2021